Just after New Year 2014 it was time! Time to start the actual building. Everything was ready, builder, helper, material, digger and weather! After 4 long days of sweaty, dusty, hard work the shed was ready for the floor to be poured… It was all a bit limit. We had to change plans, fit everything in, get the engineer in for the inspection of the foundations and order concrete to be trucked. Just thinking of doing this in Switzerland, no way this would have been possible: ring them at 7 in the morning on their first day back to work after New Year and get them to deliver 2 truckloads of concrete at 3pm!!! Compliment!
Not everything went so smoothly… The next day for example: box it in, shovel and rake hard fill to be compacted, spread sand in the burning down sun with no breeze for hours. And then finally: lay the plastic on and finish work. It is nice to have the plastic on to prevent the wind (that might come up during the night) from carrying away the sand we just have been placing so carefully. Ok. We got that roll of 25mx4m (the shed is 12mx7m so perfect for 2 runs). But it ran out at 20m! B*$&@!! Looks like someone has put the wrong 25m sticker on a 20m roll.
The day we did the floor we started at 6am pouring the first concrete. All before the sun gets too hot. These guys know what they are doing and put a very nice finish on! The following 5 days I went to water it at least once a day. 200L at once, all in our van. Amazing what all fits in that good old van. I probably should write an own post about it. A little heap of sand all around the perimeter prevents the water from running off too quick. The only thing after that is to cut the concrete between the posts. I did it myself as well with a big, old angle grinder and a diamond disk. Dusty and noisy stuff, and not perfect but “it’s just a shed” as everyone says.