A team of fit youngsters traveling NZ helped me put our panels up in 3 days. The poles in the back row are 3.6 meters long and were dug in 1.7m deep.
I have asked the supplier for 150SED posts, which they didn’t have, and he gave me 175 instead. But the ones we got were actually around 200mm – they were heavy as and will never move an inch!
The post hole borer did help us a huge thing! Digging 8 holes from 1.1m to 1.7m deep, 300mm in diameter. We hired this one for one day and it was well worth the money! Then the earth was rammed back in to the hole around the poles. Strings help to get things in line.
We braced it all up with timber and bolts and we were then ready for the rails. String lines once again, such a simple thing, but it makes the job so much easier.
All the cables were pulled in at once. 3 panels in series are put together to a string. Each string is fed back to the power-board of the shed. We have got 12 panels altogether. That is 4 strings of cable at 50m long and 6mm2. We put in 2 spare cables for future potential expansion. All together with an earth wire in a 40mm conduit, partly dug in, partly as an overhead line.
Lastly the panels went up in no time, and the first storm has passed with no damage.
Now we are just waiting for the batteries to turn up and we can celebrate our own power from the sun!